Rudder replacement

Nauticus

Rudder replacement

Post by Nauticus »

Hi all fellow Gramps out there. I own a 1974 G26 #329. I am looking to source a backup rudder for my girl. Here's where the stupid questions start:
Do I need an identical replacement? I recognize that this is the most ideal situation. I also recognize that finding a replacement rudder for a 47 year old boat is near impossible. Do I have any other options?

Thanks,

Tim
MouseMarse

Re: Rudder replacement

Post by MouseMarse »

Need is a strong word. If things needed exact replacements, then custom vehicles wouldn't exist. Bear in mind, though, that anything you change about the rudder will affect the steering and balance of the boat. A longer rudder would cause more responsive steering, but increase the chance of hitting it, and also slow you down in turns. A wider rudder would also increase steering, but could not only slow you down but affect the balance of the boat because you've changed the Center of Lateral Resistance. A smaller rudder may be easier to install in a situation where you're caught offshore without one, but it won't steer as well. Everything is a compromise, and boats even more than most things.

That being said, head to your favourite yard and ask for advice. Bring a copy of the line drawings available in the brochures and spec sheets on this website. They do these sort of repairs and replacements all the time, and while they're not inexpensive, you'll end up with a rudder that you can trust, that will do what you expect, and that will last as long as the stock one, as long as you're working with a reputable company who also works with reputable companies. Be sure to talk to several, unless you already have a good relationship with one you trust. I certainly wouldn't attempt to build a post-mounted rudder for a keelboat that's always in the water. It's too important.

Just my 2 cents American, which I don't remember if it's worth more or less than Canadian right now... :D
Nauticus

Post by Nauticus »

Thx. I've covered most of the bases. Like I said it's a spare only but I fully understand the need for a proper one now. I didn't think snagging something close, similiar or otherwise not right would work but I wanted to be sure. I figured there's bound to be a Grampian owner out there who's been in my boat (figuratively) and might have options that worked for them. Thanks again and fair winds ⛵😀
truant4

Post by truant4 »

Just noticed this post. I have an older Grampian 26 rudder in good condition if you are still looking
Nauticus

Post by Nauticus »

Thx Truant4, I've direct msg you.
Collarandhames

Post by Collarandhames »

Truant4, I'm also looking!