Grampian 26 windows

Nauticus

Grampian 26 windows

Post by Nauticus »

Any G26ers out there that have had to deal with their windows? Ideally I'd like to remove the old ones and fire in something new but I'm starting to think sourcing parts and materials might be difficult. If that turns out to be the case I'll just have to quick fix them for the season and re and re them for next season.
Anyone tackled this problem before?

Thanks
James Burke
Site Admin

Re: Grampian 26 windows

Post by James Burke »

Hey Tim,

Try calling Holland Marine, they may still have some of the parts required to reseal the originals. If my memory isn't failing me, the frames on your boat are still OK, but the seals need to be replaced. Holland Marine still had some when I checked but it's been a while so worth calling.

I can't remember if there are bolts or rivets holding them together - if rivets you'll have to pop 'em out. I'd suggest replacing them with bolts so you can reseal the windows in the future when they inevitably start to leak again.

I've also seen a lot of people recommend sealing with butyl tape instead of silicone - you'll need to research whether this is a good or bad approach, but it does seem to seal much longer than silicone.

I have 8 port lights to replace on my 31' boat and will just be replacing it all - new portlights and new windows. Very pricey, but it's nice to go to sleep on dry cushions after a long sail in the rain!

There's some good info about the process here - I will be doing what Geoff Hearns wrote.
https://www.grampianowners.com/FAQ/gram ... %20windows
Stanley

Re: Grampian 26 windows

Post by Stanley »

I removed my windows last year and resealed them with burly tape. So far good.