Grampian 2-34

kenkrige

Grampian 2-34

Post by kenkrige »

I am considering purchasing and restoring a Grampian 2-34 in the Netherlands. Does anyone own one of these boats or know them well. I will have to rebuild the entire interior so I am not too concerned about information on that. I mainly want to know about the hull in terms of original build quality and sailing characteristics. Is this a realistic choice as a small bluewater cruiser?
James Burke
Site Admin

Re: Grampian 2-34

Post by James Burke »

Hello, apologies for the very delayed response.

I don't have personal experience with that boat, but I have seen photographs of one in Tahiti - so it is obviously capable of making some very long trips.

I have also seen quite a few of them in European ports. I must assume most of them were sailed there, not shipped.

It is a little on the light side, but it definitely seems to be a respectable boat for cruising, with adequate modification and improvements made to the hull, windows and hatches, cockpit and rigging. I think the typical modifications you'd want to make can be found all over the web and would generally include additional buoyancy compartments, heavier duty hatch and windows with better sealing than factory, heavier duty rigging and improved drainage for the cockpit.

Most of these modifications are pretty standard fare for cruising boats in the 30-35 foot range :)

Make sure the keel bolts are rock solid and that the keel to hull joint is in good shape, well faired.
Ralf C. Kohlrausch

Post by Ralf C. Kohlrausch »

James Burke wrote:

>
> I have also seen quite a few of them in European ports. I must assume most
> of them were sailed there, not shipped.

>
> Make sure the keel bolts are rock solid and that the keel to hull joint is
> in good shape, well faired.

Hi,

Grampians have been built by the English boatyard Porter& Haylett, so the trip to European ports may not have been that long after all. Can't speak for the Canadian- or US-built boats, but the English ones had an encapsulated keel. So there should not be a visible joint.

Greets
Ralf C. Kohlrausch

Master Landlubber Unlimited
Dr Jones

Post by Dr Jones »

Hello Ralf,

On my 2-34 (the Grampian Aigle) there is a visible joint. I had a survey done and the inspector said it is not an issue, and he inspected both the bolts and the ability for the keel to take the full weight of the boat and it passed. Is it an issue if there is a visible joint..? I have my concerns but the inspector brushed them off..

Thanks in advance.
A
Dr Jones

Post by Dr Jones »

Here is a photo of the hull showing keel joint.. and areas of high moisture. Should I be concerned..? Also, still trying to find out the hull construction (sandwich .. with ..? Balsa ..?)

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Allan
Attachments
Grampian Aigle hull
Grampian Aigle hull
Ralf C. Kohlrausch

Interesting. Perhaps mine is encapsulated with antifouling only and will fall off once I clean it all up ;-)

I have not cut any holes into the hull yet. Cockpit sides were massive, deck is sandwich with something that turns into greenish mush when wet. I am currently rebedding the stanchions.

The Grampian Aigle is one beautiful boat. Our Emma is just plain white. I have not been able to find any hull numbers or manufactorer's plates on our boat. Do you have any? Do you have any original documentation? We have nothing but the boat.

Emma is based at Fehmarnsund in the West-German Baltic, used to be based at Hooksiel in the North Sea. She is currently on the hard and I will be back on the boat by mid January for repairs. If you have any questions or want me to look up something for comparison I will be happy to help.

I have been able to find the chainplate-support-rod along the underside of the deck, but no visible screws or bolts. On our boat it is all covered with some kind of spray-on-felt, so no details are to be seen.

Regarding Kenkriges question about the blue water capabilities: The Irish flagged Grampian 34 "White Whisper" joined the Atlantic Rallye for Cruisers in 2010 an crossed the Atlantic coming in at number 160 of 205 with no engine hours recorded.

Greetings from Berlin
Ralf C.
Ralf C. Kohlrausch

Dr Jones wrote:
> Here is a photo of the hull showing keel joint.. and areas of high
> moisture. Should I be concerned..?

Many boats have visible joints. The usual wisdom is to keep the joint clean, cut a small groove and fair it with sealant. I don't have any personal experience, though. Your joint does not show a visible gap, so I'ld assume all is hunky dory.

Greets
Ralf C.