Opening day 2021?

James Burke
Site Admin

Opening day 2021?

Post by James Burke »

Howdy all,

I hope you're looking forward to sailing season as much as I am!

I'm curious to hear when you are planning to put your boats in the water?

I plan to get out there as soon as possible - it's looking like late April or early May will be the earliest for my boat.

You'll see me and my wife Minami at Port Whitby Marina in the bright red Lee Island, a Discovery 7.9 (Updated version of the Grampian 26). You may also come across us near the north coast of Lake Ontario anywhere between Kingston and Toronto! :D

James
kevertiger

G23 tiller rebuild

Post by kevertiger »

I have G23119;
I want to rebuild/replicate the tiller myself. Does anyone know what type of material ( wood) used by Grampian for the tiller?
Greetings from the "Triple 'B'"
Ahoy Matey!
MouseMarse

Re: Opening day 2021?

Post by MouseMarse »

I took my boat out for a shakedown cruise on 4th April 2021. It was successful, in that enough things broke that It'll be a little while, and a few ducats, before she swims again, but I'm looking at early June, at the latest. It's just a matter of finding/making the appropriate fittings. :D :shock: ;)
James Burke
Site Admin

Post by James Burke »

Ouch - what happened!

Our marina is still not launching, not sure when I'll get in the water yet.. In the meantime I guess all we can do is get the prep work done and wait.
MouseMarse

Post by MouseMarse »

First time taking the albacore out since buying it. The boom vang broke (part of it ended up at the bottom of the James River), then the forestay turnbuckle came loose (which was entirely my fault for not tightening the locknuts enough. Those were the two biggies, not counting the leaky centerboard pivot bolt. All those things should be fixed in another week or so (come on, Amazon!), and we'll try again at a local ramp. Still, with all that, we made an average speed of 3.5 kts, and a top speed of over 5 kts in a 15 foot dinghy with 2 old and relatively rotund people aboard. She'll do better next time. Not so sure about us... ;) Thanks for asking!