Chain stays and hull construction - Grampian 2-34

Dr Jones

Chain stays and hull construction - Grampian 2-34

Post by Dr Jones »

I am a few steps away from being the new owner of a Grampian 2-34.

The surveyor noticed two things (one very strange!)I need some help with/advice on..

1) the chain stay bolts are missing! But, upon further investigation by others, it was noticed that there is a round steel (?) bar that is epoxied (?) in to the cabin/top deck horizontally lengthwise (bow to stern) and extends just beyond the most forward shroud and the just beyond the most aft shroud. So it seems this is the structural 'base' for the shrouds.. Is this the case..? Is that round bar the integral piece..? Are there no traditional chain stays on the 2-34? Also, should the bolts be in (sounds like a stupid question, I know.. but the current owner has been sailing without them, and in some strong winds (North Sea). We are going to put bolts in, but wondering if this (round bar construction) was a modification done and the bolts are no longer necessary ..

2) the hull has some very high moisture readings in a couple of relatively large areas.. (~ 1 foot by ~ 2 feet) What is the construction of the hull of a 1976 Grampian 2-34? Is it a sandwich construction? Is there plywood in the hull..? Balsa..? Or is it 'just' fiberglass..? It appears to be a sandwich construction from looking at areas surrounding seacocks.. I want to know what the construction is so that I can prepare myself for the work, and understand what is happening beneath the surface of the hull in those areas..

Thank you in advance!
Allan 'Dr' Jones
Ralf C. Kohlrausch

Re: Chain stays and hull construction - Grampian 2-34

Post by Ralf C. Kohlrausch »

Hi,

no answers to your questions, sorry, but as you mention the North Sea.... is it an American built Grampian 2-34 or a British built Porter & Haylett Grampian 34?
I will look at my boat next week when I continue to rebed the stanchions.

Just out of curiosity: Would yours be the Grampian Aigle?

Greetings
Ralf C. Kohlrausch
Dr Jones

Post by Dr Jones »

Hi Ralf,

Thank you for your reply! And sorry for my late reply... I believe it is a British built Grampian - the Sales papers are listing Porter and Haylett, yes.

It is the Grampian Aigle! Do you know her..?

Danke!
Allan
Ralf C. Kohlrausch

Post by Ralf C. Kohlrausch »

Hi,

limited knowledge on the hull-construction. Previous owner said, below waterline is massive laminate, up to two thumbs thick. Lazaretts are massive, about 10 mm thick including gel coat. Deck is sandwich, about 4 mm lower layer laminate, 12 mm balsa, 4 mm upper layer including gel coat. Measurements taken at larboard cockpit stanchion base. I still have to drill into the hull myself, but that will have to wait till next winter.

HTH
Greetings Ralf C.