Boat improvements

Stanley

Boat improvements

Post by Stanley »

I brought a new genoa this year.
What have you done to improve your boat.
James Burke
Site Admin

Re: Boat improvements

Post by James Burke »

A new genoa is a nice thing! Are you using hank-on sails or roller furling? I am a little skittish to put my hank-on Genoa up after a sudden wind shift and strong gust on a calm day last year heeled us over pretty hard. Went from no heel to rail in the water in 2 or 3 seconds. We saw the gust coming (Ripples in the water) but pretty much just had to brace and take the slam. Roller furling might have given us enough time to reduce sail enough to stop the crazy heel.

On my big boat:
Electric bilge pump installed and wired..Unfortunately led to the next item on the list when I pumped the bilge for the first time:
Diesel leak discovered and fixed (I hope)
Propane BBQ added to the pushpit
Added a temporary anchor light (Davis Mega Light). Going to have to redo the mast wiring for the permanent light - wire got smushed when we put up the mast, nobody noticed til it was too late.
Added an Achilles 8' inflatable with old school Johnson 8hp two-stroke..both super-oldies but in mint condition
Fixed numerous leaks around the mast and grab rails

What else...
New shackles all around
New sheets for the headsails
New downhaul block and line running to the cockpit - works great at keeping us off the front of the boat in big waves..We can pull the headsail down even without heading into the wind up to around 8-10 knots of wind.
New anchor bridle line - my boat was sailing / yawing like crazy at anchor. Everyone else's boats in the anchorage stayed headed into the wind. Ours wandered all over the place, rotating about 90 degrees every minute or so. Learned a new trick of tying a line to the anchor rode and leading it to the aft cleat or winch to keep the boat steady and one side into the wind. Seems to have stopped the problem.